Rena H. Brooks Excellence In Early Education Award
Rena H. Brooks, who lives in Kalamazoo, taught in early education from 1953 to 1994. Thirty-two of those years were spent in Comstock Public Schools, mostly at Green Meadow Elementary. She loved teaching, and being an influential teacher was important to her. She succeeded! She was recognized by her colleagues as an outstanding teacher, but the proof is in four decades of students who, through Rena, came to love learning. She believed then, and believes today, that being a great teacher requires patience, flexibility, a joy for teaching, a sense of humor, a positive relationship with staff and parents, and a talent for making learning fun and interesting.
Grant Application Guidelines
Award: A $500 grant will be awarded to one applicant per year. The recipient of the award will also have their name engraved on a Rena H. Brooks Award plaque to remain with the recipient until the next recipient is chosen.
Who May Apply?
- This Grant is available to early education teachers teaching preschool through 2nd grade.
- Recipients may not re-apply for 2 years.
How to Apply:
- Please complete all the questions on the Rena H. Brooks Excellence In Early Education Award Application form (preferably printed or typed) and provide as much information as possible.
- Applications must be submitted to the Foundation prior to the Christmas break of the current school year.
- Applicants are invited to attend the January board meeting of the current school year to discuss their grant proposal, but it is not a requirement for consideration.
- A recipient will be decided on following the January board meeting with announcement of and distribution of award in February of the current school year.
Please return completed form to Comstock Public Schools—Office of the Superintendent, or Application may be mailed to:
Comstock Public Schools Foundation
Attention: Rena H. Brooks Award
3010 Gull Road
Kalamazoo, MI 49048